Summarized: Delegates' Conference
In 2000, the General Assembly of terre des hommes Germany decided to share its decision taking powers with a wider group of stakeholders, establishing the Delegates Conference as decision taking body. In the Delegates' Conference, elected representatives of the project partner organisations worldwide, the International Youth Network of terre des hommes, and staff meet. Jointly they decide on the Strategy of international programme and project work of terre des hommes Germany for the coming five years. Proposals are developed jointly by the stakeholders before the Delegates' Conference, in the co-decision process. It is not only a consultation process, but a co-decision process as all delegates have equal voting powers.
Why does terre des hommes have a co-decision process?
- Foster the idea of a real cooperation instead of a mere North-South resource transfer
- Idea of decolonising aid
- Counterweight against the power imbalance inheriting the donor-recipient relation
- Avoid paternalism
- Include knowledge and competences of stakeholder through exchange
- Strengthen accountability to stakeholders by participating them into decisions
- Stronger engagement by all stakeholders (staff of terre des hommes, volunteers, partners, youth network), if participated in decisions
- Assure relevance of organisational goals of terre des hommes in different regions and stakeholder groups
- Link local and global discussions
What may the Delegates' Conference decide on?
- Strategic Goals: Focus of programme work for the next five years. Which areas do we want to stress in the next years?
- Focal Themes: New and/or experimental topics. In which new areas do we want to develop further?
- International Campaigns: Joint international lobby and public relations work by all stakeholders on one topic.
- Resolutions: Political declarations by the Delegates' Conference.
All decisions are taken for a period of five years
- 12 delegates of partner organisations
- 6 delegates of the International Youth Network
- 12 delegates of the German terre des hommes' volunteers
- 6 terre des hommes staff members
- 3 delegates of terre des hommes' volunteer presidium
- 3 terre des hommes board members
A total of 42 delegates with equal voting rights.
Organizing committee of the Delegates' Conference
- Delegates of all different groups of the last conference
- Help to organise preparation process and conference
- Facilitate between all groups
- Establish communication between all groups
- »Watchdog« monitoring the implementation of decisions afterwards